Instagram Feed (do not change this title)

Carrot cake making





Like several people, I have the GBBO bug and watch it every week without fail (who's going to win tonight?! It's either Nadia or Tamal for me!) Anyway, at the weekend I felt inspired to attempt to bake something and after flicking through my Mary Berry cookbook, I decided for that 'something' to be a carrot cake, as this is one of my favourites. 

Baking cakes is definitely not one of my strong points and I often end up forgetting an ingredient (recently that ingredient was butter, so my lovely chocolate chip cupcakes didn't turn out so well. At least I now understand why butter is an essential part of that cupcake recipe!) 

I started to question my decision to bake a cake whilst seriously struggling back from the local Sainsbury's with the ingredients. But after reading the recipe and realising how easy it was, that I just literally had to chuck everything in a bowl and stir, I felt much more enthusiastic. 

It took a while to cook, cool and ice but it was 100% worth it as it tasted amazing. I will definitely be cooking it again soon. 

Cake Ingredients:

  • 150ml sunflower oil
  • 250g wholemeal self-raising flour 
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 150g light muscovado sugar 
  • 60g chopped walnuts
  • 125g grated carrots
  • 2 mashed bananas 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1 tbsp milk

Method: 

  • Grease cake tin
  • Chuck all the ingredients into a bowl and stir well until it's all evenly mixed
  • Cook for around 50 mins 
  • Leave to cool

Icing ingredients: 

  • 250g low-fat soft cheese
  • 2 tsp clear honey 
  • 1 tsp lemon juice

Method: 

  • Again, stick everything into a bowl, mix and then smooth over top of cake 
  • (I added some ground cinnamon for decoration but Mary Berry says about adding chopped walnuts- which I had unfortunately run out of)
Has the GGBO inspired you to do any baking?

No comments

Post a Comment

© Katie Primrose

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig