Instagram Feed (do not change this title)

Make your own | Pesto




Even though I am a student, I try my hardest to stay away from the stereotype of living off pot noodles and baked beans. Instead, I prefer to set myself the challenge of cooking homemade, healthy dishes that don't cost much, but still taste fantastic. Recently I saw a recipe for homemade pesto over on Poppy Deyes' blog (absolutely l-o-v-e her blog) and being a huge pesto fan, I instantly wanted to give it a go. So I did and I absolutely loved it, so I thought I would share it with you beauties! Not only did it taste so delicious and fresh, it was also cheap to make. Although the pine nuts and parmesan weren't the cheapest, I reckon you could make four or five lots of the pesto before having to repurchase more. Plus I always find shop bought pesto is expensive and I never get even halfway through the jar before it becomes mouldy! 
It is a win win situation really- it's cheap, easy to make, healthy and tastes delicious!


What you need & what it costs:
  • 3 handfuls of basil (80p per bunch from the market)
  • 1 handful of pine nuts (£2.50 per bag)
  • 1 handful of parmesan (£2.00 per pot)
  • A couple of tablespoons of olive oil (depending what consistency you would like) (£2.00 per bottle)
  • Juice of half a lemon (35p each)
  • Salt & pepper for seasoning 
  • 1 clove of garlic (30p per whole garlic)
What you do: 

This is the super easy part- you literally chuck it all into a food processor/blender, blend it for along as you would like (depending what consistency you would prefer) and voila! You have some delicious, healthy AND homemade pesto ready to eat!

Do you have any well loved healthy, yet cheap recipes?

Enjoy!

No comments

Post a Comment

© Katie Primrose

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig